Meet Dr. Diane Alexander
Female Plastic Surgeon in Atlanta
Atlanta plastic surgeon Dr. Diane Z. Alexander specializes in cosmetic facial surgery, body sculpture, breast rejuvenation, and breast cancer reconstruction. In September 2000, she co-founded the first all-woman-physician plastic surgery practice in Atlanta, now named Artisan Plastic Surgery. She is board certified by The American Board of Plastic Surgery, is a member of The American Society of Plastic Surgeons and is a Fellow of The American College of Surgeons. She is Vice-Chief of Surgery at Northside Hospital and is active in the Atlanta Women’s Foundation and the Atlanta Women’s Medical Alliance. The Consumer Research Council of American named her one of the top plastic surgeons in America.
“My interest in surgery developed during my clinical rotation in medical school at Albert Einstein College of Medicine. The combination of intellectually analyzing a problem and then using my hands to fix it inspired me. I soon focused on plastic surgery as the sub-specialty that combines medical decision-making and precise technical skills with the opportunity to be creative. I view plastic surgery as an art—each patient is my canvas. Plastic surgery is very personal and intimate. It’s not just about how the patients look, but about how they feel about themselves. I gain immense personal satisfaction from helping to restore my breast cancer patients through reconstruction and from helping my cosmetic patients enhance their beauty and self esteem.”
Dr. Alexander graduated cum laude from Yale University, where she studied history, art, and political science, as well as pre-medical courses. At Yale, she also performed as a cellist with the Yale Symphony. Dr. Alexander studied medicine at Albert Einstein, graduating in 1990. She was elected to the Alpha Omega Alpha national medical honor society and continued to play cello in a local orchestra during medical school.
Following medical school, Dr. Alexander trained at Emory University in the general and plastic surgery residency programs. During her clinical training, she also worked as a fellow in the transplant immunology department with Drs. Chris Larsen and Tom Pearson. Using micro-surgical techniques, she performed mouse heart transplants as part of her research. She received grants for this work from the Plastic Surgery Educational Foundation and the National Institutes of Health, co-published dozens of articles in peer reviewed scientific journals, and lectured extensively in the United States and abroad.
A native of Portland, Oregon, Dr. Alexander is married to Kent B. Alexander, the senior vice-president and general counsel of Emory University. They have two wonderful teenage daughters. In her free time, Dr. Alexander and her husband enjoy photography and collecting art. As a hobby, Dr. Alexander creates glass beads and designs jewelry. For relaxation, she enjoys traveling with her family, especially to Costa Rica and the Oregon coast.
- American Board of Plastic Surgery
- Bachelors of Arts from Yale University in 1983, Cum Laude
- Medical Doctorate from Albert Einstein College Of Medicine in 1990
- Residency for General Surgery and Plastic Surgery at Emory University
- American College of Surgeons, Fellow
- American Society of Plastic Surgeons, Member
- Atlanta Women’s Medical Alliance, Member
- Medical Association of Georgia, Member
- Georgia Chamber of Commerce
- Northside Hospital, Vice-Chief of Surgery
- Atlanta Women’s Foundation, Women in Healthcare, Co-Chair
- Alpha Omega Alpha National Medical Honor Society
- Castle Connolly Regional Top Doctors
- “America’s Top Physicians” (Plastic Surgery) Consumers Research Council of America (2005)
- Patients’ Choice Award, Vitals.com (2008, 2009)
- On-Time Doctor Award, Vitals.com (2018)
To learn more about Dr. Alexander or the cosmetic services we offer at Artisan Plastic Surgery, please contact one of our Atlanta offices today.